Thursday, October 27, 2011

Strange Days have Found Me

Well, just when you think things can't get weirder ... they do.

I was back in the shop today, turned on the CNC mill and immediately received an error message indicating a major problem.

I thought it might be the power supply which was just repaired a week or so ago. I got the guys who fixed it on the phone and they talked me through a few tests which quickly showed the problem not to be with the power supply. I then got the Haas technician on the phone and it looks like there may be a problem in one of the axis motors (bad) or vector drives (not good).

In any case, the Haas tech will have to come out asap next week and find out what's broken, order the part and either come back and install it or else I'll install it if it's something I can handle.

I just sunk €1200 in the machine and now I'm sure to be out another chunk of change and the machine will be down until end of next week.

On the way back a stone flew up on the expressway and broke the windshield on my car.

When it rains it pours.